• Buy filets from a fish that has an opaque or glassed-over eye or mushy texture. It’s most likely been sitting around for too long.
• Overcook your fish. Fish can get tough and taste different when it’s overcooked.
• Forget to remove the outer muscle of scallops. The outer muscle gets tough and chewy when cooked and can ruin your impression of scallops.
• Cook scallops for too long. They may be medium rare when you pull them from the pan, however, they continue to cook while they rest. Overcooked scallops are tough and difficult to eat.
• Steam your shrimp for too long. Overcooking shrimp can result in shells that are stuck to the meat and difficult to peel. Shrimp are generally finished cooking as soon as they turn pink.